Welcome to Celebrating Truth!
It is my hope that we can discover together that Jesus does listen to our prayers and does respond when we call.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

WHOOSH! into the wilderness with you!


I would love to have a conversation with someone about the verses I’m going to share. My mind has been spinning in a good way since reading it this morning. I have this app for my phone from YouVersion named the Bible. It is one of my favorite apps – I have many apps. What I love about this app is
  •  It has the Bible if you want to look something up
  • It has reading plans
  • It has the ability to read the verse or chapter to you,  perfect for driving
  • Verse of the day
  •  Bookmarks
  •  Notes
  •  A notification prompt so you don’t forget to read your Bible

It’s probably not attractive to advertise on your blog but this app has helped my family and friends remain in the Word daily and to also begin an important habit of being in God’s Word. There is no better or more helpful habit than to be in the Word of God and to learn about our Lord Jesus Christ and His love for each of us. Commercial over J

My reading today comes from the reading plan – Devotions for Lent from the Holy Bible. I began today reading in Mark 1. One of the things I love about reading the Bible – God’s living Word – is I can read a passage I have read before and have something from it strike me as something profound and new. What struck me this morning in my reading was Mark 1:11-13:

“And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.’  The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.  And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan.”

Here Jesus, in an act of obedience and example to the people He came to rescue, gets baptized by John the Baptist. God the Father publically pronounces His blessing and love for Jesus and

 WHOOSHH!

The Spirit drives Him out to the wilderness for forty days to be tempted by Satan, himself. Not exactly the response many of us would expect after such an act of obedience and blessing from the Father himself. After this intense time of temptation, Jesus was ministered to by the angels and His ministry began.

We have no idea what plans Christ has for us. But we do know that His Word promises His presence (Hebrews 13:5), His help (Psalm 46:1), His strength (Philippians 4:13), and His love (Psalm 103:17). I can’t get the  verse from Jeremiah out of my head, I hesitated to use it because it is often misused but I do believe there is comfort here -  Jeremiah 29:11 “I know the plans I have for you… plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

When your life turns in a direction you were not expecting, a direction that is bringing hardship and /or heartache, do not fear. Christ is with you. He has promised to finish the work He has started in you (Philippians 1:6) and we can NOT know how He will bring about that completion. Hang onto His Word and love. He will not fail you! He may confuse you (Isaiah 55:8-9) but remain faithful and true to the One who remains faithful and true to you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome stuff. Just what I needed to hear today. Especially the part that says:

hardship and /or heartache, do not fear. Christ is with you. He has promised to finish the work He has started in you (Philippians 1:6) and we can NOT know how He will bring about that completion. Hang onto His Word and love. He will not fail you! He may confuse you (Isaiah 55:8-9) but remain faithful and true to the One who remains faithful and true to you.

This is what I will meditate on. This is what will give me the strength I need to go through whatever I have to as God continues to reveal Himself to me.

Thank you for sharing.

Bruce Richter said...

"That was great to hear. God is always with us no matter the situation."