Welcome to Celebrating Truth!
It is my hope that we can discover together that Jesus does listen to our prayers and does respond when we call.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Looking beyond yourself

I was reading in 2 Chronicles 25, Daniel 6, and Acts 5-6 discovered an interesting theme. In each passage there was an example of how leaders made decisions that affected those under their authority.

2 Chronicles 25 – King Amaziah, the king of Judah, had gone into battle under the authority of God and God gave Judah the victory. Instead of praising God and giving Him the glory, Amaziah chose to follow the gods of the people he had just defeated. God punished him by allowing Israel to pillage Judah and destroy a portion of their city.

Daniel 6 – speaks of the jealousy of the presidents and satraps towards Daniel. Their deceptions lead to Daniel being thrown into the lions’ den for “crimes against the king”. In the end Daniel was saved by God and the men who were after Daniel were thrown into the lions’ along with their wives and children.

Acts 5 – Speaks of Ananias and Sapphira and how they tried to deceive the Holy Spirit. Here after Ananias is given an opportunity to confess and then is killed by God for his lie, Sapphira is given the same opportunity to redeem herself with confession or even to say she didn’t agree with her husband. However, she too was deceptive and killed. We are shown a grace and mercy we didn’t see in the Old Testament accounts.

Acts 5-6 – Then shows how the obedient lives of the apostles led to blessings, fellowship amongst the followers of Jesus and provision for the widows of the city.

After reading each of these accounts, I was reminded of how important my decisions are! So often when I am consciously deciding to be obedient to God in my actions, I don’t think of my family or those I happen to be in authority over – those at church or work. I am selfishly deciding that I don’t need to be obedient in that area for whatever lame reason I have at the moment. But here we see how others suffered greatly for the choices of their leaders, husbands and fathers! These were my immediate thoughts,

“‘Wake up, Renee, and look beyond yourself! Your choices affect all those around you, not just yourself and not just in the moment!”

I was also encouraged to see Acts, both the mercy shown to Sapphira (she was given the opportunity to tell the truth and not just lumped in with Ananias’ punishment) and the blessings shown to those the apostles were affecting.

Whether we are in leadership, parents or just people living our own lives, we must remember that our choices affect all those around us both in negative ways and positive. We must, in Jesus’ strength and power, live our lives looking beyond ourselves.

No comments: